Represented Films Back to results
Spain / 2010 / 58 mins.
Synopsis: Shot on location in Cuba, it’s the story of six young Cuban surfers starting the sport in Cuba and legendary Australian surfer Bob Samin who inspires them.
Surfing is relatively new to the island, as is independent travel. The surfers, five men and one woman, bring us inside their lives and their homes while displaying their inventiveness as they make their own surfboards and wax out of useful junk. Regarded with suspicion by the Cuban police, these intrepid surfers remain undaunted as they travel the island nation searching for the best waves. Ultimately arriving in Guantanamo, the surfers encounter Samin, visit his hidden surf spots, meet his friends and share his dream of starting a surf school for Cubans. Through the story of these surfers, HAVANA SURF takes us on a fantastic road trip of discovery.
Production Status: Completed
Genre: Adventure, Documentary, Special Interest, Sports
Format: HD, DigiBeta
Director: Rodrigo Diaz McVeigh
Festival, Competitions & Reviews
- Official Selection of Santa Barbara Int'l Film Festival
- Official Selection of Surf Film San Sabastian
- Official Selection of Festival de Cine Y Video Centroamericano
- Official Selection of Quicksilver Chile Surf Film Festival
- Merit Award, Indie Film Festival
- Official Selection of Havana Film Festival